Wednesday 1 December 2010

The Element of Surprise

As it's coming to the Festive Season, I've been doing a bit of online shopping for my presents for Mrs. S.  As with previous years, I've had them delivered to either my work address or to the mother-in-laws as she's retired and home most days.

Earlier this week, Mrs. S mum telephoned me whilst I was at home to inform me that the latest delivery had been received.  Straight away when she called I went into another room so that I could talk to her without Mrs. S eavesdropping.  When I returned to the lounge after the conversation, Mrs. S tried to find out what I had ordered.  Naturally I gave nothing away and told her she had to wait.

Here's the thing.  She tries this every year and cannot resist trying to find out what I've bought her.  Each year, I don't offer any information.  You would have thought by now that she would have learnt not to ask me daft questions like that!  Myself as an adult who doesn't find Christmas as exciting as when he was a child (although that will hopefully change over the coming years with having little Miss S around), doesn't want to know what people of bought him.  I still like the idea of opening a present up on Christmas Day with that element of surprise.  Also, I really cannot understand these people who try to find out what they've been bought.

Conversely when buying gifts for family and friends, I try to be discrete in finding out.  Again, I like the present to be a surprise to them.  I will never forget visiting a friends house many years ago, a couple of days before Christmas.  All their presents were wrapped and under the tree.  His mum picked up one of the gifts and asked "Is that the hairdryer you asked me if I wanted?".  This I just didn't understand.  Why ask your mum exactly what they want for Christmas? More to the point, if she knows what it is, why bother wrapping it?

The surprise of what a Christmas present might be is an important part of the spirit for me.  Essentially this is what the day is all about.  Yes there is the big lunch and quaffing of alcohol but the whole idea of getting together is to share the gifts.  If these aren't made to be special, then what hope do you have for getting in the Christmas spirit?

No comments:

Post a Comment