Friday 23 March 2012

Fabrice Muamba lives on aided by CPR


Like most people in this country, I find it absolutely astonishing that Fabrice Muamba is still alive and on the long road to recovery after being effectively dead for 78 minutes.  Is it right to say that it is almost unbelieveable?

I could sit here and re-iterate the comments made in the media about the hard work of both clubs doctors and the hosptial staff, but that would be pointless.  My point is about the CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) that was administered by those professional in the immediate time after the Bolton player collapsed.  It is clear that having those people present meant all the difference to whether he lived or passed away.  What would have happened if there wasn't anybody close by who hasn't received that training nearby is unthinkable (very unlikely given where it happened, but please bear with me on this).  That is why I consider CPR and First Aid a vital life skill.  As I said in the First Aid post, it can probably be one of the most important training courses I have ever been on and will definitely encourage anybody to do it.  It isn't a hard course to do and is very worthwhile.  My thinking is that we can never have too many First Aiders in this world.  You never when you might be needed.

As part of my last refresher course I was shown how to use a Defibrillator.  They are becoming more and more available in public places such as railway stations, shopping centres and the likes.  Again, these aren't anything to be frightened of as they are programmed to talk you through the whole process.  Don't worry, you don't have control of those big electric pads that you see on Casualty and Holby City!  It is all done from a small carry case with all the equipment in.

As I say, it really isn't anything to be frightened of.  If just one of you who may come across this blog post become persuaded to look into First Aid training, I think it may just have done what I intended it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment