Thursday 25 August 2011

'Take on an Empty Stomach'



Take on an Empty Stomach or an hour before food - a statement which appears on a number of medications.  I had never been able to find a definitive answer as to how long it takes for a human stomach to digest a meal.  So when I was prescribed a course of Antibiotics last Friday, I was confused and annoyed all over again.

The Internet seems to have numerous theories about this subject, some being way different than others.  Previously a Doctor at our surgery told me that an hour after a meal would be fine.  However, some sites claimed that you should go four hours without food.  I was also confused about the consumption of hot drinks as they contain milk and will start the digestive system off.  Another Doctor claimed that this was taking it too far.  This was creating one great big head scratching moment for me.  All I wanted a defnite answer as to when I could enjoy a brew and my lunch.

In the end I've gone with the official NHS Direct guideline of waiting two hours after eating/drinking (water is OK as it doesn't start the digestive system unless there's something in it I think) and an hour before food.  I've now been following this for nearly seven days now.  I do want the medication to work at it's best so I'm best taking the tablets as suggested.

The food aspect isn't so much a problem, in fact it would probably be a help (well you don't earn the nickname of the Human Dustbin by not eating much do you?!).  The prospect of only drinking Tea and Coffee at certain times of the day has been driving me nuts though.  I don't seem to have a set time when I make a drink, just when I fancy one (which is numerous times during the day).  So when that is curtailed, it is so hard not to flick the kettle on!

Thank heavens for 17:00 tomorrow then, an hour after my final tablet.  I can back to drinking numerous cups of Tea per day and feeding my face when I want.

Incidentally though, abstaining from booze over the last seven days has been no where near as problematic.  Perhaps the patchy headache and nausea I had at the start of the treatment has got something to do with it.

2 comments:

  1. It is a tricky one. My last lot had me avoid milk altogether for a few days, which made breakfasts tricky as I'm a bit of a cereal fiend.

    Hope you're actually over whatever it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Simon. I'm feeling alot better now.

    On a previous course of tablets I've had to avoid milk and dairy too. Now that was even more complicated as I cannot drink tea or coffee without milk in it! For that week all I drunk was Orange Squash

    ReplyDelete