Sunday 8 August 2010

Premier League vs. Championship

The English football season has begun this weekend.  To alot of us football fans, it has been a long wait since the end of May.  I know we've had the World Cup this year but if we're honest the competition wasn't that exciting was it?  There wasn't a great deal of entertainment and never really lived up to the hype that was generated beforehand.  For me, the bigger teams just seemed to go out and 'do a job', probably because there was too much riding on how well they performed.

Sorry, I'm digressing from the point of this blog entry.  I'm always thankful for the fact that the Football League begins a week earlier.  It deserves to be 'top of the bill' and not be overshadowed by the holy grail of English football, the Premier League.  The product on offer is high quality.

Take the Championship for example.  It is more of an equal playing field.  There are the teams relegated from the top division of course who have the financial support of the parachute payment and the clubs promoted from League One who have alot less in the way of income.  Somehow though, this won't have as detrimental an affect on the league as it does to the Premier League.  In the past few seasons we've had promoted clubs who have achieved more than exceeded what was expected of them for a first season in that league.  Teams that have been in the Premier League in the not too distant past have fallen though the trap door.  At the start of season you can't outrightly predict who will be challenging for promotion and who will be fighting for survival.  The points gap throughout the table won't be huge, meaning that come the beginning of May, desintations of some clubs will need deciding on the final day.  (The exception to this statement obviously being Newcastle and West Brom last season).  This is what makes the Championship possibly the most attractive league competition in my opinion.  I know that there's far more media coverage in the Premier League and all the income from the Television rights.  You have to admit though that it is very predictable and that there's a huge divide between the clubs with the great big pile of money to spend and those who have to be careful.

Ask a Hull City fan which league they prefer.  I'm pretty confident that they will say the Championship.  The main reasons being that it is a far better competition, less media coverage and therefore more about the football than the money.  It's really more attractive on that basis surely?

I can hear the cries of my fellow Leeds fans declaring me nuts as I write this.  I know that as a club Leeds should be aiming for get promotion into the Premier League because of the facilities and the numbers of fans they can get through the gates.  To me, those are all secondary to having a team on the pitch that will be able to compete in that league and stay there.  I know there are financial benefits to getting promotion, even if you come straight down the following season.  Trouble is, the team won't benefit from that cash.  Only the business will.

On that basis I propose that Leeds only aim for survival this season.  Anything above that should be seen as a huge bonus and achievement (Judging by last nights performance, this would be realistic).  Obviously Leeds want to get back into Premier League, but this should be a long term aim.  A squad that would be able to compete should be built gradually.  The fans will almost certainly be impatient and want instant success.  You can't guarantee that though can you?  Especially in the Championship.  My hope is that the fans don't start calling for Simon Grayson to be sacked during the season if things get tough.  He should be given the time to build.  Somehow I doubt it very much though.

Oops, I appear to have veered off course again.  My final point is that I, like other football fans get far more pleasure from following the goings on in the Championship and lower leagues than the Holy Grail.  Why not give it a try yourself?  You'll be pleasantly surprised.  I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment