Thursday 30 September 2010

"It's Not Even the End of September!"

I hate to admit this but it appears that Christmas is only a couple of months away.  Every year I usually complain that we as a family get organised far too early and that it dominates our thoughts until it arrives.  All I want to do is say "all this hassle for one bloody day!".  Needless to say that protests fall on deaf ears.

Take our visit to Costco last weekend for instance.  In true Cash and Carry style, their huge section in the middle that usually has garden tools, climbing frames and barbecues had been transformed to show their latest festive stock.  It wasn't even the end of September for heavens sake!  In fact, all retailers seem to get their Christmas stock on sale earlier and earlier.

I don't think I'm alone in these thoughts though either.  I know a few other friends and colleagues who get sick of seeing decorations and various must have presents whenever they have to go shopping.  Also, the playing of Christmas songs way before the time is a definite way to put people off.

Although I do protest about how early we start shopping (usually before Bonfire Night), it does feel good when we have all the presents bought before the beginning of December.  It then makes the build-up to Christmas all the more enjoyable.  (Yes, this is me admitting that Mrs S is right, AGAIN!)

On the whole I do enjoy Christmas....once we get to the week before.  That for me is when the present shopping is out of the way and we get to the good bit of buying the food and doing all the prep for Christmas at home (more on this nearer the time).  It promises to be more enjoyable than before as it's our daughters first Christmas.  Admittedly, she'll not know a great deal about it.  It still doesn't stop everyone spoiling her though.  For those reasons, I'm aiming to curb my moaning and try to get into the spirit, something which I've done for a number of years and is very habitual.  Wish me luck

3 comments:

  1. For me Christmas isn't about the day, the build up is all part of it. It's a period of time rather than just one day for me.

    On the other hand though I couldn't agree more. It all starts way too early, December would be perfectly adequate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To some extent I agree with the build up. Not just the present and food buying but also the social side of it. In the past there have been a handful of social gatherings through work and friends which have been fun.

    My little family has given in anyway and got a huge proportion of its present shopping done. There wasn't anything else better to do on Friday when it was raining. I know it goes against the grain but it does actually feel good to be really organised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10% of all Christmas takings happen in September. 45% in October and November with the remaining 45% in December. We wouldn't give up the space if it wasn't worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete