Friday 24 September 2010

Not Being Paid

Chris Moyles non-payment of wages rant has been the subject of much debate on Twitter and a few blog posts. Andy Bells entry is in support of him.  I must admit I originally didn't have much of an opinion on the subject.  However, last night I read The Urban Woos take on it and this provoked me into changing my opinion.

Firstly I can appreciate where the guy is coming from.  It really would annoy me if I haven't been paid for a couple of months and I consider myself very fortunate to have not been put in that position.  He still has bills to pay and needs to live, irrespective of whether there's any money coming in or not.  He may be on a huge salary but like most other people in this world, he will live to his means.  There's no point in earning money and not making use of it (well that is my philosophy anyway).

I don't think he was right to bring it up on the show though.  He should have discussed it in private with the Management Team at Radio 1.  Then he would have avoided all this media coverage and the backlash from the public, calling him insensitive.  The quote The Urban Woo uses in her post from the Guardian is very apt which was posted by a member of the Ambulance Service.  He does get paid far more than he is worth and does think that he works hard.  However, it is nowhere near as hard as the Ambulance man, and he doesn't have to see the awful sites of the public being hurt on a daily basis.

Therefore, my final word to Chris Moyles is think before you put your mouth into gear, then it not get all blown out of proportion as you claim it has, avoiding the subject of you being over payed being brought up again!  Next time you need to air your views, make sure you do it in private with the relevant people and not on your show.

No comments:

Post a Comment